Friday, February 18, 2011

Ahhh... Birds.

This week (and last week) in health class we talked about resisting pressure from others and setting healthy goals.
Peer pressure - is a feeling that you should do something because that is what your friends want.

There are positive and negative influences.
Positive could mean having good role models.
Negative could mean doing something that is not healthy.

Some examples of DIRECT pressure are:
Teasing,
Persuasion,
Explanations,
Put-downs,
Threats, and
Bribery.

Some examples of INDIRECT pressure are:
TV,
Radio,
Advertising,
Role models,
Popular people, and
Famous people.

We also made up our own refusal skills, here are a few of the ones I made:
For "Ignore the request or the pressure" I said "Tie your shoe and run away screaming."
For "Say no thanks" I said "No thanks, I don't like you."
For "Make an excuse" I said "No, my pelvic girdle is hurting today."
And, for "Leave the situation" I said "I've gotta run. The birds are coming." (My favorite. lol)

And for setting health goals.
Goal - is something that you work toward and hope to achieve.
There are long term and short term goals.

Here are 6 suggestions for setting goals:
1. Safe
2. Satisfying
3. Sensible
4. Similar
5. Specific
6. Supported.

And on the side note we made some goals of our own.
My short term goals were:
Earn over 100$ by the end of the month (Already halfway there.)
Get my confirmation letter from tech (It's not really something I can do but still.) And,
Get closer to God on a whole new level (I hope to never stop trying to reach this goal)

My long term goals were:
Graduate from college with something I love. (That'd be awesome.)
Get married and maybe start a family (Hmm, sounds nice.) And,
Lol, become as trusting in God, if not more, as Libby Ryder. (She really has been an inspiration to me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment